Do you need a great chili recipe for your next game day party or maybe just a cold, rainy day or snowy weekend? Try this delicious recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser! It is colorful, hearty, and has a smoky flavor with just a hint of natural sweetness.
This slow cooker chili recipe has ground beef (substitute ground turkey or meatloaf mix if you wish), red, orange and yellow bell peppers (use green if you prefer), onions, red kidney beans and black beans, corn, canned tomatoes, and honey… yep a natural sweetener instead of brown or white sugar. The chili seasonings are not from a packet which, I think gives it more flavor.
Here is the list of chili seasonings:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
You may be asking yourself “Why cinnamon?” Well, a little bit of cinnamon seasons the ground beef quite nicely.
This recipe cooks in only five hours so you can just prep it on game day and serve it right out of your Crock Pot! I just love my * Crock Pot for so many reasons but, one is that I can take it out of the shell and put it right into the refrigerator and then put it back in for the party. Mine has clamps on the sides to keep the lid in place which, is perfect to take along to a party. Chili sits better when it sits a day or so, you can make it in advance if you have time.
Topping the chili with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream makes it even more tempting. Add a piece of corn spoon bread and you have yourself a tasty and comforting meal, especially to combat the winter blahs! Sadly, I only saw the sun for a few moments today.
If you’ve never had a grilled corn muffin, you’re in for a tasty little treat.
Pin this recipe to your list of favorite game day foods or your Pinterest board of soups, slow cooker recipes or comfort foods.
This recipe can also be made vegetarian by simply omitting the ground beef and adding 3 more cans of beans-pinto, navy or white beans or add more black or red kidney beans. Also, add another can of diced tomatoes.
This recipe is perfect for a Super Bowl party or any party for that matter and it is so easy to make ahead and take a long to a party. Any host would love to receive this hearty, meaty and flavorful chili.
Stove Top Directions:
Want to eat this tasty chili sooner than five hours? Just do it on the stove top. In a large stock pot on medium heat, cook add the oil, onions, minced garlic and bell peppers. Add the meat and let it brown. Then, add the remaining ingredients except for the honey which, you’ll add when it is finished. Let it simmer on med/low for 45 more min, covered.
What is your favorite chili recipe and what do you like about it?
*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission.
Homemade Slow Cooker Chili
- 2.5 lbs of ground beef, turkey or meatloaf mix
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 8 oz can of whole kernel corn
- 2- 14.5 oz cans of red kidney beans
- 14.5 oz can of black beans
- 1 each red, orange, yellow bell peppers, diced
- 3 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-14.5 oz. or 1-28 oz. canned diced tomatoes, unseasoned
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional or add more if desired)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 6 quart slow cooker on high setting, add extra virgin olive oil. Then, add onions and bell peppers followed by meat. Add remaining ingredients, except honey and cover. If you will not be home, it is fine to stir but, it is harder to stir when it is still raw because it fills the chamber to the top so, you may want to mix it in a larger bowl first. Still put in the oil on the bottom to avoid sticking.
- After two hours, stir well.
- Cover and let sit for 3 more hours. Add honey at the end of the cooking and stir well.
- Top with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese to individual bowls before serving. Enjoy!
Stove Top Directions:
Want to eat this tasty chili sooner than five hours? Just do it on the stove top. In a large stock pot on medium heat, cook add the oil, onions, minced garlic and bell peppers. Add the meat and let it brown. Then, add the remaining ingredients except for the honey which, you'll add when it is finished. Let it simmer on med/low for 45 more min, covered.
Substitute: -green bell peppers for red, yellow, or orange bell peppers -pinto, navy, white beans for red kidney beans or black beans -ground turkey or meatloaf mix for the ground beef -make vegetarian by omitting the meat and adding three more cans of beans plus one can of diced tomatoes