Fall Pumpkin Dessert
I truly LOVE this pumpkin bread recipe! I’ve made it both with chocolate chips and without and it’s super tasty almost in a sinful way. But, it’s not sinful enough to keep me coming back for more.
You may not think chocolate tastes good with pumpkin but, let me assure you that it does. I was skeptical at first too.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you make a purchase I’ll receive a very small commission.
What’s just as good as the taste of this delicious recipe is the ease in which it is made.
Now, you can tinker with the spices like using pumpkin pie spice instead of the amounts of each individual spices listed below and I get that but, if you can make it as listed, it’s perfection!
One of the secrets to this pumpkin bread recipe is the amount of cloves. You’ll taste the cloves more the second day.
My zucchini bread-loving eight year old loved the look of this pumpkin bread and asked what it was. He was reluctant to try it because it’s made with pumpkin.
I convinced him and he ate a whole big piece! I told him he just needs to trust me. It’s just as delicious as my Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread but, with pumpkin instead.
I should have made a double batch! This recipe is so easy-to-make with canned pumpkin which, seems hard to find sometimes so be sure to pick up a can or two when you see it on the shelves.
Best Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
How do you make pumpkin bread from scratch?
It’s very simple. Add flour, leavening agents, and spices to sugar, oil, vanilla, eggs, and pumpkin puree. Then add chocolate chips and bake 50-60 minutes.
What goes good in pumpkin bread?
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or pumpkin pie spice which has cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Chopped pecans goes well with pumpkin bread and of course chocolate chips. Spread cream cheese frosting, cinnamon honey butter or apple butter on top. YUM!
Best Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Ingredients
- baking powder
- baking soda
- cloves (see substitution below)
- nutmeg (see substitution below)
- oil (corn, canola or veg is fine)
- eggs sugar
- pumpkin puree
- chocolate chips
- oil spray for loaf pan
This recipe has basic baking ingredients.
What can I use if I don’t have all of the Pumpkin Bread spices?
Although if you’re a beginner cook, you may not have nutmeg and cloves in your seasonings rack.
You may not want to buy them just for this recipe. However, I will tell you that they’re in many fall baking desserts, especially pumpkin desserts.
With that said, you may want to buy pumpkin spice for this recipe instead if you don’t want to buy more spices. Its a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger and you won’t have to buy separate spices.
Ginger is not in the recipe’s ingredients but, the small amount in Pumpkin Spice will not alter the flavor much.
Pumpkin Bread Substitutions or Additions
- Use 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- substitute fresh pumpkin puree. Read about how to make pumpkin puree.
- Add the same amount of white chocolate chips instead of chocolate.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped pecans.
Check your spice cabinet and write down what you need to make this delicious chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe! It’s perfect for a tasty fall pumpkin dessert and a wonderful Thanksgiving dessert!! Make this yummy recipe now. Your family will love it!
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck.
Best Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 1 1/4 cups flour all purpose
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 oz corn oil or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips divided
- oil spray
- First, preheat oven to 350F.
- Then, in a medium sized bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl add oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin puree. Mix well. Add 1 cup of chocolate chips. Using a spatula, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Then, oil spray the sides and bottom of a 8" x 4" x 3" loaf pan. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Top with 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Last, bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the middle of loaf and if it comes out clean, it's done.
Substitutions:1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice for cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
Joanne Schweitzer says
Yes, you can substitute raisins in the same amount as the chocolate chips.
can you substitute the choc chips with raisins?