Citrus Apple Cider Vinegar Turkey Brine
Citrus Apple Cider Vinegar Brine will make your turkey moist and full of flavor! This turkey brine is easy to make and worth the extra step to make a delicious turkey for Thanksgiving! Brine turkey for 8-12 hours. Gluten free and low-carb. Makes enough brine for a 20 lb whole turkey.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
marinating time 8 hours
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 30 people
Squeeze the quarter lemons and oranges to extract the juice while adding them to a large stock pot along with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 20 min on low heat.
Let the brine cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to place the turkey in it.
Place the raw, defrosted turkey into a brine bag. Pour cooled brine over turkey, tie the bag and place in a roasting pan and place in your refrigerator for 8-12 hours. *Makes enough brine for a 20 lb turkey
NOTE: Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary.
- Let Citrus Apple Cider Vinegar Brine cool before storing in the refrigerator and place it in a large container or clean cooler where the whole, thawed turkey will be covered for 8-12 hours.
- You should brine your turkey in a refrigerator or outside if it's cold enough but, not freezing which is 32F or below.
- This recipe makes enough brine for a 20 lb. turkey. Discard the brine after it's been in the raw turkey. It's not safe to be consumed.
- Here is the general rule for substitution: 1 part table salt = 2 parts Kosher salt
- Therefore, for this recipe which calls for 1 1/4 cups of Kosher salt, you can use about 5/8 cups of table salt instead. However, if you're measuring by weight, you may use the same amount.
Turkey Cooking Tips:
- I put a whole peeled onion in the turkey cavity. The onion steams and give the turkey more even more flavor.
- Rub butter on the breast area to give it a nice brown color.
- I sprinkle freshly ground pepper on top of the turkey before roasting.
- You may use a turkey roasting bag if you wish. Follow the bag instructions as it usually required two tables spoons of flour to be added.
- Place the turkey with the thermometer facing the oven window so you can see when it's done.
- If you cook a 20 lb unstuffed, brined turkey in the oven in a covered roasting pan, it will be done in 3 hours, if you don't baste it. Open the oven at 2.5 hour mark and remove the lid so you can see if the thermometer indicates its ready. Opening the oven every 15-30 minutes to baste it lets a lot of heat out and it will take much longer to roast.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 29cal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4727mg | Potassium: 107mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg