Italian Zucchini Casserole is made with fresh zucchini, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and topped with a crunchy breadcrumb topping. Vegetarian
This is the best Italian Zucchini Casserole! It will remind you of an Italian summer garden on your dinner plate.
It is a mini casserole layered with zucchini, tomatoes, fresh parsley, mozzarella cheese, EVOO, and flavored Panko bread crumb topping! The crispy, cheesy edges are yummy and the Panko bread crumb topping is crunchy and delicious.
It makes a great side dish but, you could double it and make it as a good vegetarian main dish.
Italian Zucchini Casserole
It’s a great way to use up garden tomatoes and zucchini and is a nutritious vegetarian side dish. Hello Zucchini Tomato Gratin! You’re my favorite way to eat zucchini. You’re kids may even eat this dish!
*Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission for my work but, you pay the same price.
How to Make Tomato Zucchini Mozzarella Bake with Panko
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post.
In a casserole dish, layer zucchini slices, tomato chunks, fresh parsley, EVOO, salt and pepper. Then add shredded Mozzarella cheese.
The bread crumb topping is a mixture of Progresso Italian Style bread crumbs, crunchy Panko Japanese style bread crumbs, garlic powder and a bit of EVOO.
Bake the casserole dish in a 400F degree oven for 30 min covered with foil and then remove the foil and let it bake another ten minutes so the bread crumb topping can brown and the zucchini softens.
This Zucchini Tomato Gratin recipe can be doubled or tripled to make it a main dish. Add some cooked chicken or Penne pasta to make it more filling. Add some eggplant. Use cherry tomatoes. Use Fontina or Provolone cheese.
When you need a quick prep vegetable side dish to use up zucchini you found in your fridge or from your garden, this Tomato Zucchini Mozzarella Bake with Panko will give you flavor you can’t get from a boring vegetable freezer steam bag. With crispy cheese edges and a crunchy yummy bread crumb topping, even your kids will ask for more.
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck!
Tomato Zucchini & Mozzarella with Bread Crumb Topping
- 2 zucchini sliced into 1/2 inch round pieces
- 1 large tomato cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp of fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Panko Japanese Style bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Bread Crumb Topping
- Add ingredients to a separate bowl and stir until well combined.
- In a 11"x 8" x 3" or similar size casserole baking pan, layer in this order: spray with cooking oil, zucchini, tomato, parsley, salt and pepper, cheese, bread crumb topping.
- Bake in a 400F oven for 30 min covered with foil. Remove foil and bake another 10 min. so the bread topping can brown.