Last Updated on: 1st May 2023, 08:00 am
Tomato Basil Tortellini Salad is a filling and delicious side dish with ripe grape tomatoes, fresh basil and tangy red onion. Vegetarian.
I just LOVE tortellini! It makes a great cold pasta. I use it to make Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad.
Disclosure: This post may contain Amazon affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission but, the price you pay is the same.
Tortellini is a yummy cheese-filled pasta. It cooks in only a few minutes. When it floats in the boiling water, it’s done! It makes a quick main or side dish because of this reason. Just add your flavoring.
This Tomato Basil Tortellini Salad is simple to make and comes together quickly.
Note: The pasta will pick up the flavors of the onion and basil the more it sits together. Therefore, it’ll become more flavorful as it sits.
Can tortellini be eaten cold?
Cheese tortellini can be eaten cold (once cooked of course.) It’s not common to eat meat tortellini cold but, it can be done (once cooked.)
How long to you cook tortellini?
Fresh, refrigerated tortellini cooks in 2-3 minutes while frozen tortellini cooks 3-5 minutes and dried tortellini takes about 10 minutes too cook.
Look at this recipe up close!
It looks so yummy!
- Use fresh or dried tortellini (cook according to package directions) instead of frozen.
- Use cherry tomatoes instead of grape tomatoes.
- Add sliced black olives if you wish instead of the red onion or in addition to it.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese.
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck.
Tomato Basil Tortellini Salad
- 19 oz frozen tortellini
- 16 oz grape tomatoes
- 4 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- First, cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain hot water and run cold water over to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut grape or cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Then, stack basil leaves and roll them. Cut them width wise in 1/8 inch wide pieces. Unravel and pull apart.
- Next, finely chop red onion.
- Add drained tortellini into a mixing bowl along with remaining ingredients and stir.