I’ve been a Reuben pastrami sandwich lover ever since I tasted my first one at a good deli many years ago. Hot pastrami with sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese and a dabble of Russian dressing on thick buttered, seeded crunchy grilled Rye bread has to be one of the best sandwiches ever! When I made this sandwich for my husband and myself, he said “I just can’t get a pastrami sandwich like this anywhere.”
This delicious sandwich is easy-to-make. Just buy a good quality pastrami and bakery-style rye bread and I’ll show you how easy!
Who’s Rachel? Reuben?
If you don’t already know, a Reuben made with pastrami instead of Corned beef is also called a “The Rachel.” Does anyone know why? I don’t but, I don’t need to know because I just like. So, what does it matter?
Whatever you want to call this fabulous sandwich is fine. It’s so easy to make at home with quality ingredients. Rachel will be proud.
You never have to be disappointed again from the cheap quality food some restaurants and diners serve. Using fresh bakery quality Rye bread makes a BIG difference in the taste of this Reuben sandwich!
The Ultimate Pastrami Sandwich
When you make sandwich like this at home, you control the amount of butter, meat, sauerkraut, cheese and dressing. Pile on as little as as much meat as you like. I personally like the crispy edges on the Pastrami.
It is the balance of meat to bread to toppings and condiments that makes the best sandwich. I’ll repeat that because it is important. It is the balance of meat to bread to toppings and condiments that makes the best sandwich. You don’t want too much bread in one spot. Right? Isn’t that what started the whole “bun length” hot dog ordeal?
Call me a sandwich connoisseur or a foodie. Call me picky. I don’t care but, I need just the right amount of each quality ingredient to call it a great sandwich. A sandwich that melts in your mouth after each of your taste buds is dancing on the table.
I don’t know who is Rachel but, having a delicious sandwich named after you must be an honor in the world of foodies. Thank you Rachel or whomever named you.
The kind of deliciousness that happens when others are speaking to you at the table and you can’t hear a word because you are appreciating the impeccable flavors of this fresh, delightful sandwich. The key to moving this sandwich from great to spectacular is using homemade dressing. However, if you don’t have the ingredients or are short on time, a good bottled dressing certainly wouldn’t ruin this Reuben.
How to Make the BEST Pastrami on Rye Bread Sandwich at Home
- First, on a hot griddle on med/high heat, warm up a 1/2 cup of sauerkraut. I use the bagged kind you find in the grocery store meat section.
- Then, along side of the sauerkraut, warm up a few pieces of Pastrami or Corned Beef if you prefer.
- Next, butter two pieces of fresh Rye bread and lie them face down on the griddle.
- Then, put one slice of Swiss Cheese on each of the bread slices.
- Next, put the meat one piece of bread and sauerkraut on the other.
- Then, drizzle a little bit of Russian or Thousand Island dressing on one side or add after you take it off the grill if you don’t want warm dressing. Check out the homemade Simple Russian Dressing recipe below.
- Finally, using two spatulas, place meat side on top of the sauerkraut side and continue to grill a couple more minutes. Remove and slap that nice Reuben on a plate.
This homemade Russian Dressing from a Family Feast would compliment this sandwich nicely also. Serve with chips and a pickle or soup. Doesn’t Ham, Potato and White Bean Soup sound yummy?
Why Make A Pastrami Sandwich at Home?
Why drive out to a diner where you’ll likely be served days old meat, low quality Swiss cheese and Russian dressing? Do you think you’ll get good quality Rye bread there? Um…NO!
You need quality, fresh ingredients to make a yummy pastrami sandwich like this one! Just look at that dressing oozing out of the side of the sandwich! In minutes, you’ll have a sandwich that will make your mouth and tummy proud!
Again, thank you Rachel! Get more great wholesome recipes in our Recipe Index!
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck.
Tasty Reuben Pastrami on Rye Bread Sandwich
- 8-10 slices pastrami
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 3-4 tbsp butter more or less if you prefer
Simple Russian Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- Frist, make the Simple Russian Dressing: stir mayo, sweet pickle relish and chili sauce.
- Next, on a hot griddle on med/high heat, warm up the sauerkraut and pastrami. griddle.
- Then, butter one side of each piece of bread and put them butter side down on the grill.
- Next, put one slice of Swiss Cheese on each of the bread slices.
- Then, put the heated meat two pieces of bread and half of the sauerkraut on the other slices of bread.
- Next, drizzle with Simple Russian Dressing on one side or add after you take it off the grill if you don't want warm dressing.
- Then, using two spatulas, place meat side on top of the sauerkraut side and continue to grill a couple more minutes. Remove and put on a plate. Serve with potato chips and/or a pickle.
Joanne Schweitzer says
Hi Anita. Quality ingredients always work out best in recipes! Thanks for the 5 star rating!
Made these today for Derby Day and they are quite delicious! It is true that quality ingredients: Boar’s Head pastrami and marbled rye from the bakery make these extra special. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Julie @ Back To My Southern Roots says
I’ve never been a big on Reuben’s but I think you’ve changed my mind. This looks super delicious!!
Thanks. I like them with Corned Beef too. YUM!
This looks like the ultimate Reuben sandwich!