Last Updated on: 30th January 2024, 05:56 am
This traditional, garlicky Italian pasta dish from Naples area is budget friendly and an easy weeknight dinner ready in 20 minutes with only a few simple ingredients! It’s Vegan.
I first learned of this simple, yet delicious, dish in Italy. I was visiting my family in the Neopolitan area one hot summer. They took me to the mountains for a day trip on August 15th (which is a big summer holiday there.)
Make this dish with delicious homemade pasta.
First came the antipasto followed by the pasta course, of course and Spaghetti Aglio e Olio was it. The English translation is “Spaghetti Garlic and Oil” This dish is similar to my Easy Shrimp Scampi Fettuccine but, without the shrimp.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon Affiliate links which means if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission.
I wouldn’t have thought a simple dish could be so good! The garlic flavors the olive oil and makes it very aromatic.
It was perfect for the day because when you’re picnicking away from home because it has very few ingredients. You don’t want to bring half of your kitchen to a picnic.
See my article on How Long Does it Take to Cook Perfect Pasta.
What’s more is that it’s a dish you can decide last minute to make because likely, you’ll have some fresh garlic, spaghetti and oil. Well, if you’re the least bit Italian, you will. Wink, wink.
The trick to getting this dish perfect is not only cooking the pasta al dente but, also adding just the right amount of garlic. Additionally, you’ll want to use a GOOD extra virgin olive oil.
This spaghetti dinner is cheaper than the usual pasta dinner because it has no meat. Plus, you don’t even have to buy a jar of spaghetti sauce!
Olive Oil Garlic Pasta
Some American Italian recipes for Spaghetti with Garlic and Oil call for adding butter. You may do this if you wish but, it isn’t how the original recipe was made.
Because this is a Vegan dish, it’s a great option for when you’re having friends over who are Vegan.
What is the meaning aglio e olio?
“Aglio” in Italian means garlic and “olio” is oil but, I suppose you figured that out the “olio” part all by yourself. When it refers to Spaghetti Aglio e Olio, then it simply spaghetti with garlic and oil. It’s a common Italian dish served it Italy.
What region of Italy is garlic oil sauce from?
It’s a traditional pasta dish from the Naples area in the Compania region of Italy.
Bring a taste of southern Italy into your own kitchen. Make this one-pot, budget-friendly spaghetti dinner soon. You’ll love the ease of it and it won’t break your food budget with the rising cost of food prices.
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck.
Spaghetti Garlic and Olive Oil
- First, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and leave it in the colander.
- Meanwhile, peel garlic and slice the cloves in half.
- Next, in the same pot the pasta was cooked in, add oil and garlic and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes or until garlic just starts to brown. It can burn quickly so watch it carefully and don't walk away from the stove.
- Then, as soon as the garlic starts to brown, remove the garlic (unless you want to eat it) and (add the crushed red pepper if using and cook for 10 seconds then turn off the burner) add the cooked and drained spaghetti and toss to coat with the oil.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper if you wish. Stir again and serve.