A juicy, fruit-filled Galette with ripe fresh picked strawberries, garden rhubarb, lemon juice and zest inside of a homemade pastry dough is just divine! An easy-to-make dessert served with creamy vanilla ice cream and coffee is sure to make any meal memorable. This Rustic Strawberry Lemon Rhubarb Galette is the perfect summer time dessert when strawberries are in season. However, because you are baking the strawberries, this Gallete will taste good any time of year.
Don’t be intimidated by the homemade pastry crust. It is only a few ingredients you probably already have on hand and has minimal kneading. As a matter of fact, you never want to manipulate pastry dough too much or it will not turn out good.
I have found lemon juice and zest add some extra special flavor to strawberries. It is like a burst of flavors in your mouth while eating this delicious Rustic Strawberry Lemon Rhubarb Galette. An alternative to pies and tarts, Galettes are very similar.
Although I’ve been eying up Galette recipes on Pinterest for months now, I decided on making a sweet Galette. I adapted my recipe from this Strawberry Peach Tart from Sally at Sally’s Baking Addiction which, is one of my favorite sweet food blogs.
How to Make the Rustic Strawberry Lemon Rhubarb Galette
Although you are making the crust from scratch, making Galette is pretty easy. The filling is super easy.
To make the pastry dough, add flour, sugar, salt, and cubed butter pieces together in a mixing bowl and mix it for about 30 seconds. Add ice cold water. You actually have to put ice cubes in the water first and let it get ice cold. No short cuts. Cold water will not work. It needs to be ice cold. Got it?
Be careful not to get pieces of ice in your dough, as I did. It isn’t fun trying to remove them. You may need a little more ice cold water to get the right consistency. Knead it a little. Roll it into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. Put it in the refrigerator for one hour.
When you take the dough ball out of the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap and knead a couple more times on a floured surface before you roll it out with a rolling pin. Roll it out into a 18″ or so in diameter.
In the meantime, make the fruit filling. Just add some chopped strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice and zest into a bowl with some sugar and cornstarch.
Spoon the fruit filling into the middle of the rolled out dough. Fold the edges over, brush with egg wash (beaten egg white) and pop it in the oven on 425F for about 30 or so minutes. If you are wondering if the juices will overflow, the cornstarch should prevent that but, if you have super juicy strawberries, it could happen. It did not happen in this recipe.
It turned out great! The filling was sweet and tart. I just had to pull out the vanilla ice cream! It is so hard to eat desserts from a grocery store when you can make something so delicious in a relatively short time.
This Rustic Strawberry Lemon Rhubarb Galette tastes optimal when served a bit warm next to creamy vanilla ice cream! I highly recommend adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Keep this in mind when you are gathering your ingredients.
When you are looking for the perfect dessert to make with sun ripened strawberries, this Rustic Strawberry Lemon Rhubarb Galette is sure be the perfect dessert at a BBQ. With few ingredients and a relatively short baking time, you can make this tasty, from-scratch dessert easily and maybe even wow your guests! Pin it to your desserts board on Pinterest!
I took this recipe to Meal Plan Monday.
More from No Plate Like Home:
Simple individual berry desserts served in disposable cups! Perfect for parties.
Flavorful cute, individual dessert that is easy to make and clean up.
Rustic Strawberry Lemon Rhubarb Galette
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of cold butter or 1 stick cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup of ice water or more if needed
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 beaten egg white to brush on crust for browning optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fruit Filling
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries chopped
- 1 cup of rhubarb chopped
- juice of half of a lemon
- zest from half of a lemon
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar and butter. Mix until clumpy- about 30 seconds. Add ice cold water. Mix for about a minute. If it still seems dry, add a teaspoon at a time more water until it is malleable and dough like. Take the dough out of the mixer and knead with your hands on your counter top a few more times. Make it into a ball and cover it with plastic wrap. Put it in the refrigerator for one hour.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients. Let stand until ready to assemble.
- When dough has been chilled for an hour, preheat oven to 425F.
- Remove plastic wrap from dough and knead a couple times on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a circle about 18" wide.
- Place the fruit filling in the middle of the dough and fold over the edges. Brush the beaten egg white on the crust (optional.)
- Place the Galette on a baking stone or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake on 425F for 30-35 min. Let cool a bit before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream!