One Pot Ham, Potato and Corn Chowder is a blend of hearty meets savory to make a great cold day comfort food! When you merge the flavors of butter, cream, onions, celery carrots with ham, potatoes and corn, you get a tasty, creamy and flavorful soup that you will want to dip crusty, warm bread into while savoring every yummy bite!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission but, you pay the same price.
How to Make One Pot Ham, Potato and Corn Chowder
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post.
First, prep celery, onions, baby carrots and potatoes. I use baby carrots so I don’t have to peel them. Also, you can save time by using red potatoes and keeping the skin on but, wash them first. Or, use a food processor. Here’s a reasonably priced food processor.
Next, in a 6 qt or larger stock pot, add EVOO, butter, onion, carrots and celery. Simmer on med/high heat for 3 min. stirring a couple times.
Then, add one bay leaf, thyme, some garlic powder and freshly cracked black pepper.
Add flour and stir.
Then, add chicken or ham stock and stir. Yep, keep stirring it so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Add potatoes. Stir, cover and cook med/high heat for 45 min total stirring every 10 min. Add ham, corn and heavy cream midway through cooking. Be sure to stir every 10 min while cooking to minimize sticking and burning of the bottom of the pot. Many of these soup ingredients already have salt so, I didn’t add any salt but, you may want to. Taste the soup first.
After it has cooled, store in refrigerator up to 5 days. Freeze up to 6 months.
How to Make Ham Stock With a Ham Bone:
If you have a ham bone, put it in a 6 qt. stock pot and fill it 2/3 with water. Cover and boil the ham bone for 1 hour. Discard ham bone and use 6 cups of the ham stock for this recipe. Label and freeze the remainder for One Pot Ham, Potato and Bean Soup. I suggest using ham stock in this soup if you have a ham bone and the time to make the stock but, chicken or turkey stock works great too.
This sinfully delicious soup is a cross between my One Pot Corn and Crab Chowder and my One Pot Ham, Potato and Bean Soup. The base of Corn and Crab Chowder soup is a yummy soup base. I took out the crab and bacon and added ham, potatoes and carrots.
Additionally, add some warm crusty Artisan Bread. Homemade bread makes a tasty soup just incredible. Our family loves eating homemade soup with bread in the winter time for dinner. We just can’t eat canned soup anymore with all of the sodium and processed taste.
Oh, what can be better than a big bowl of homemade soup? It’s as if mom’s love has been transformed into a bowl of wholesome, tasty goodness.
Also, it makes great game day food. A bunch of hungry guys and girls would devour this whole pot of chowder during the big game. It’s such a filling soup that you won’t need a lot of other apps and sides too. Serve some warm Yummy Easy Apple Craisin Crisp with vanilla ice cream afterward too.
This One Pot Ham, Potato and Corn Chowder is a tasty, hearty soup full of vegetables to make with leftover ham. Don’t let the cold weather blues get you down. With only one pot to clean, this creamy meat and potato meal is the ultimate comfort food!
Like what you see? Sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this post or on the home page and receive 11 exclusive free recipes for newsletter subscribers only!
More from No Plate Like Home:
This tasty One Pot Ham, Potato and Bean Soup is a great way to use up leftover ham and ham bone.
This easy Easy Ham Noodle Casserole is easy to make with leftover ham and creamed corn topped with bread crumbs.
Subscribe to No Plate Like Home
This delicious soup tastes better on subsequent days so it is a great make ahead soup! It is very warm and comforting and perfect for cold, winter days. Serve with warm bread. I suggest using a non-stick pot for this recipe.
- 4 oz. heavy cream
- 4 tbs salted butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -14.5 oz of canned whole kernel corn
- 16 oz of cubed cooked ham
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 6 cups of chicken or ham stock
- 2 med potatoes or 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- In a 6 qt or larger stock pot, add oil, butter, onion, carrots and celery. Simmer on med/high heat for 3 min. stirring a couple times. Add bay leaf, Thyme, garlic powder and freshly cracked black pepper. Add flour and stir. Add chicken or ham stock and stir. Add potatoes. Stir, cover and cook on med/high heat for 45 min total. Stir in ham, corn and heavy cream midway through cooking. Stir every 10 min while cooking to minimize sticking and burning of the bottom of the pot. After it has cooled, store in refrigerator up to 5 days. Freeze up to 6 months.
- If you have a ham bone, put it in a 6 qt. stock pot and fill it 2/3 with water. Cover and boil the ham bone for 1 hour. Discard ham bone and use 6 cups of the ham stock for this recipe. Label and freeze the remainder for One Pot Ham, Potato and Bean soup.