Can’t wait 5 hours? Stove top directions included and it’s ready in 45 min!
I’ve been making this homemade Loaded Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chili recipe for years and it never disappoints. My friends LOVE it as much as I love serving it because it’s hearty, full of beef and beans with a smoky flavor and just a hint of natural flavored sweetness.
I call this recipe fool proof because you cut up peppers and onions and dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker! Just shop, cut, dump, and slow cook! Five hours later, you have a delicious, filling meal to serve.
You can’t go wrong with this chili recipe to feed a group of excited football fans either which makes it the perfect game day recipe! Plus, stove top directions are included below in the recipe card that only takes 45 minutes to cook if you need it sooner!
Why buy expensive take out for your game day party when you can make this fabulous Fool Proof Loaded Santa Fe Chili the day before in your slow cooker, store it in your refrigerator and just plug it in to reheat in the same slow cooker bowl the next day? It’s just so easy to make!
You don’t have to be a chili connoisseur to make a great chili the first time ever! Just use this easy recipe!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a very small commission which helps with blog expenses so you can continue to receive FREE recipes but, the price you pay is the same.
This slow cooker chili recipe has ground beef, red, orange and yellow bell peppers (use green if you prefer), onions, red kidney beans and black beans, corn, canned tomatoes, and honey… yep a natural sweetener instead of brown or white sugar. The chili seasonings are not from a packet which, gives it more flavor.
How to Make Fool Proof Slow Cooker Loaded Santa Fe Chili
2 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 yellow onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz canned diced green chiles
8 oz whole kernel corn
29 oz canned dark red kidney beans
14.5 oz canned black beans
2 cups bell peppers (green, red, orange or yellow or combo)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
29 oz canned diced tomatoes, unseasoned
6 oz tomato paste
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
black pepper to taste
- First, add the following ingredients into a 6 qt or larger slow cooker on high setting: oil, onions, peppers, meat, seasonings, tomatoes, beans, and corn.
- Next, let it cook, covered on high for two hours and then stir it. Break up chunks of meat.
- Then, cover and let it cook for three more hours.
- Stir in honey.
You may be asking yourself “Why cinnamon?” Well, a little bit of cinnamon seasons the ground beef quite nicely. You’ll find it in Greek recipes.
The seasonings in this recipe really make it tasty!
When I have a crowd to feed, this is one of my go-to recipes. But, I also like to make Slow Cooker Italian Pork or One Pot Jambalaya with Shrimp and Andouille Sausage. Both are easy to make ahead and serve in a slow cooker.
This recipe cooks in five hours so you can prep it on game day and serve it right out of your Crock Pot! Having a programmable Crock Pot is great for so many reasons. It will lessen the your chances of overcooking recipes that only need a few hours if you’ll be gone all day. Also, I like that I can take it out of the shell and put it right into the refrigerator (after the food has cooled.)
Mine has clamps on the sides to keep the lid in place which is perfect to take along to a party.
Chili tastes better when it sits a day, so all the flavors can marry which makes it a great make ahead meal for parties. Plus, it freezes well.
Chili is great for:
- game day parties
- snow days
- families with a newborn baby
- meal planning
- birthday parties
I made this chili as part of our “after birth” meal prep plan for our first son. It was convenient to pull small batches out of the freezer for dinner to reheat. Who has time to cook dinner with a newborn? It is such an exciting time! I’ll never forget how proud my husband was bringing him through the threshold. It still brings a smile to my face.
Topping the chili with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream makes it even more tempting. Add a piece of corn spoon bread too. It’s a tasty and comforting meal, especially to combat the winter blahs!
- Make it vegetarian: Omit the ground beef and add 3 more cans of beans-pinto, navy or white beans or add more black or red kidney beans and another can of diced tomatoes.
- Use ground turkey instead of beef to lighten it up.
- Use a mixture of ground pork and beef.
Bring this Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chili recipe to game day, Super Bowl party or any party for that matter. It’s so easy to make ahead and take along to a party. Any host would be happy to receive this hearty, meaty and flavorful chili.
Stove Top Directions for Loaded Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chili:
Want to eat this tasty chili sooner than five hours? Just do it on the stove top!
- In a large stock pot on medium heat, begin to saute the oil, onions, minced garlic and bell peppers.
- Next, add the meat and let it brown.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients except for the honey which, you’ll add when it is finished. Let it simmer on med/low for 45 more min, covered.
- Last, stir in honey.
When you need to feed a group of hungry people, especially guys with growling stomachs, serve up Fool Proof Loaded Slow Cooker Chili. Loaded with ground beef, beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, corn and spices, it’ll fill up the hungriest of fans. It’s easy-to-make, store and transport. Score, score and score!
Click on the Soup Collage below to subscribe to our newsletter and receive the No Plate Like Home Soup Collection (8 recipes) for FREE!
More Recipes from No Plate Like Home:
This One Pot Jambalaya with Shrimp and Andouille Sausage is a tasty, spicy filling complete meal with creole spices.
A delicious One pot ham, potato and bean soup using a leftover ham bone makes a great flavored soup that is a complete meal with meat and veggies.
Easy Loaded Easy Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chili is ready in 5 hours in the slow cooker. It's loaded with beans, tomatoes, corn and seasonings and is perfect for game day parties or cold winter days.
- 2.5 lbs ground beef turkey or meatloaf mix
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 8 oz can of whole kernel corn
- 29 oz cans of red kidney beans
- 14.5 oz can of black beans
- 2 cups bell peppers, diced red, green, orange, yellow
- 3 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 29 oz. or 1-28 oz. canned diced tomatoes unseasoned
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional or add more if desired
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
First, in a 6 quart slow cooker on high setting, add extra virgin olive oil. Then, add onions and bell peppers followed by meat. Add remaining ingredients, except honey and cover. If you will not be home, it is fine to stir but, it is harder to stir when it is still raw because it fills the chamber to the top so, you may want to mix it in a larger bowl first. Still put in the oil on the bottom to avoid sticking.
Then, after two hours, stir well.
Next, cover and let sit for 3 more hours.
Then, add honey at the end of the cooking and stir well.
Optional: Top chili with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese in individual bowls before serving. Enjoy!
Loaded Santa Fe Chili Stove Top Directions:
Want to eat this tasty chili sooner than five hours? Just do it on the stove top.
- In a large stock pot on medium heat, cook add the oil, onions, minced garlic and bell peppers.
- Add the meat and let it brown.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients except for the honey which, you'll add when it is finished. Let it simmer on med/low for 45 more min, covered.
- Green bell peppers for red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- Pinto, navy, white beans for red kidney beans or black beans
- Ground turkey or meatloaf mix for the ground beef
- Vegetarian by omitting the meat and adding three more cans of beans plus one can of diced tomatoes