This tasty Italian Sausage and Spinach with Ziti 30-minute meal is certain to become part of your meal rotation if you are a sausage lover. The sausage and the flavor of the extra virgin olive oil marry in a complimentary flavor to season the spinach and pasta. The grape tomatoes add a hint of sweetness and color to the dish. The garlic and Parmesan cheese just take this good tasting dish to higher level of greatness.
In the time it takes you to cook the pasta, this complete meal will be ready. It is a perfect week night dinner because not only is it ready in 30 minutes, you will only dirty two pans. You will be serving your family meat, vegetables and a starch all in one dish!
Some days, you don’t have time to make a slow cooker meal such as, Slow Cooker Italian Pork. You have to come up with something quick with ingredients you already have on hand. Our family loves pasta dinners. So, when I’m looking for something to make at the last minute that is easy to prepare, pasta is my “go to” ingredient. There are so many delicious dishes you can make with adding a pasta mix in.
Therefore, I keep frozen spinach in my freezer because I make soups with it and like to put in pasta and other dishes. I also keep Italian sausage in my freezer too. My pantry is always stocked with pasta.
Our 4 yr old son LOVES pasta! He will walk into the kitchen near dinnertime, pull out a pot and a box of pasta and say “Mom, make me some pasta!” He is one hungry kid. On Christmas morning, he said he had to eat breakfast before opening his presents. What?! What kid says that?
Making the Italian Sausage and Spinach with Ziti
To make this tasty dish, I started boiling water for the pasta and started to defrost the spinach in the microwave. In a large frying pan, I put some extra virgin olive oil in with some minced garlic and quickly added the ground sausage. I spread out the sausage allowing it to cook for a few minutes. Then, I added frozen spinach. I drained the defrosted spinach and added it to the sausage. As that was cooking, I rinsed off grape tomatoes, halved them and then added them to the sausage. I added a few seasonings and some shredded Parmesan cheese, cooked it a bit longer and viola, it was ready to mix in with the Ziti.
However, you can substitute another tubular pasta if you prefer Penne or Rigatoni. Our family favorite is Ziti. The flavors in this pasta dish really taste great together. If you like red pepper flakes, add some in at the end.
This Italian Sausage and Spinach with Ziti comes together in only 30 minutes! It is an easy, quick, delicious, filling meal to serve your family on a busy weeknight. Your family will love it. It is also a great dish to serve a crowd too, so keep this recipe handy when you are in a pinch.
More 30-Minute Meals from No Plate Like Home:
Looking for other tasty week night dinner recipes?
This Italian Sausage and Spinach with Ziti is featured on Tastespotting
This delicious sausage, spinach and pasta recipe will be done cooking in the time it takes to make the pasta. Perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 16 oz ziti pasta, uncooked
- 16 oz. ground Italian sausage
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of shredded or grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp of ground garlic powder
- 1/4 of Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water for pasta. Skip to next step while waiting for pasta to boil.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. When hot, add garlic and simmer for one minute. Add ground sausage and break into small pieces while cooking.
- While sausage is cooking, cut grape tomatoes in half and defrost the spinach in the microwave. Drain spinach of water and add it to the sausage along with the grape tomatoes.
- Add ziti pasta to boiling, salted water.Set timer to 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to the sausage and spinach mixture. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink and the tomatoes are soft. Add a 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water to the sausage mixture.
- Drain pasta after it has cooked for ten minutes. Combine ziti with the sausage and spinach mixture and serve.
The preparation time is completed during the cook time in this recipe. The time to boil water is counted in the thirty minutes. Therefore, in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta, the sausage mixture will be done cooking and ready to mix in with the cooked pasta.
*Disclaimer: This post has affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission.