This is a weeknight dinner the whole family will devour. It’s a wholesome meal made with pasta, veggies, meat, cheese, and tomato sauce. It’s Italian comfort food.
A cheesy pasta dish is an American family favorite. Adding some veggies and meat makes it not only a complete meal but, a filling one. It’s a comfort food meal-in-one!
This recipe is similar to my Cheesy Penne Pasta with Sausage, which doesn’t require a pressure cooker. So, it’s perfect for those who don’t have one but, love pasta.
It’s great when you can make a pasta dish (with sauce and meat) all in one pot! Fewer dishes to wash is always a great thing especially when your dishwasher is broken, which is me right now!
Instant Pot Pasta Dishes
I’ve always been weary of making pasta in the Instant Pot. I DO NOT like overcooked pasta. Being the daughter of Italian immigrants, that is a no-no!
By the way, I have lots of deliziosa Italian recipes on this website!
One day I tried an Instant Pot pasta recipe and found the pasta to be perfectly cooked! I was presently surprised. So, don’t be skeptical like me.
Disclosure: This post may contain Amazon affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission but, the price you pay is the same.
Instant Pot Pasta with Sausage
What make this recipe especially good is that it’s made with canned tomato sauce instead of jarred tomato sauce which has preservatives, additives and sugar that alter the flavor.
This recipe is saucy, cheesy, meaty and delicious! It’s a meal in one because it also contains veggies: tomatoes, spinach, onions and red bell peppers.
You can check off all the boxes of a nutritious meal to feed your family. It’s always a bonus when you know it’s something everyone will love!
How do you make sausage and pasta in Instant Pot?
Basically, you saute onions and peppers (if using) in the Instant Pot using the saute function. Then, add the ground sausage and brown. Next, add in the following order: water, tomato sauce, seasoning and pasta. Water should cover pasta. Put the lid on the pot and cook on high pressure for two minutes. Manually release pressure and stir.
- Use penne rigate or small rigatoni. Larger rigatoni may need longer cooking.
- Stir in a 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese along with the mozzarella cheese or just sprinkle some on top.
- Use green bell peppers instead of red bell peppers.
You may also like:
See more pasta recipes.
See more Italian recipes.
See more Instant Pot recipes.
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck.
Instant Pot Penne, Sausage and Spinach
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 29 oz Hunt's canned tomato sauce or puree
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- First, set the Instant Pot on saute function for 6 minutes.
- Then, add oil, onions, garlic and peppers. Cook one minute.
- Next, add the ground sausage and break apart. Stir and cook until saute function turns off automatically.
- Next, add the Italian seasoning, tomato sauce and water followed by the pasta. The pasta should be under the water. Do not stir.
- Then, close the Instant Pot lid and seal the release valve. Set the pressure to high for TWO minutes. This will give you al dente pasta and it will not be overcooked.It will take 12 minutes or so for the pressure cooker to reach full pressure before it starts the cooking time.
- Next, when timer goes off, manually release the valve and open the pot when safe to do so. Stir the contents. Then, stir in the cheese and spinach leaves. Any extra liquid will be absorbed as it sits.
This recipe was adapted from Kristine’s Kitchen.