Our 4 year old son talked about his impending birthday for months. Every day he’d ask “Is my birthday here yet Mommy?” He’s been talking about his Ninja Turtle birthday party for months. I thought this Ninja Turtle Fondant Cake would surely wow him and his friends. Making one won’t break the bank! This tutorial will show you how to make a Ninja Turtle cake a put a big smile on your son’s face!
With only a few ingredients and supplies, you can make a really cool Ninja Turtle cake for your own little cute ninja. He will be so happy and so will mommy.
Supplies for Ninja Turtle Fondant Cake:
- any cake flavor of your choice
- any icing of your choice
- 24 oz. green fondant
- 12 oz. blue, purple, orange or red fondant
- 6 oz. white fondant
- black marker (do not eat fondant with black marker)
- butter knife
- a rolling pin or fondant rolling pin
- 1.5 qt. (1.4 ltr) Pyrex glass baking dome bowl
- 2.5 qt. (2.4 ltr) Pyrex glass baking dome bowl
- 12″ cardboard cake holder
Instructions for How to Make a Ninja Turtle Fondant Cake:
(Instructions are also provided in the captions of the photos below)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Fill cake batter into both of the glass Pyrex bowls and bake for about 45 min. Use a toothpick to see if it comes out clean when poked in the center. If it has batter on it, put it back in the oven for 5 minutes. Be careful not to leave oven door open as the temperature will decrease rapidly and it will take longer to bake the cake.
- Next, remove baked cakes from oven and let cool them for an hour.
- Remove the cooled cakes from the bowls and put the smaller one upside down on top of the bigger as shown below on top of a cardboard cake holder.
- Then, apply the icing to the cake to cover as much as is visible.
- Begin to knead the green, blue and white fondant until it is smooth and pliable- about a minute or two.
- Next, using a rolling pin, roll out the fondant into one big roundish piece. It should be about 18″ or so in diameter and about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Lie the large piece of fondant on top of the cake as shown in the picture below.
- Then, carefully begin to smooth out the cake and form the head and cheeks. Tuck the remainder of the fondant under the bottom layer of the cake and smooth out the lines.
- Next, make the blue (or mask color of your choice) fondant into a roll.
- Roll out the blue fondant with the rolling pin to form a very long strip for the mask, child’s name and age.
- Add the mask to the front of the cake and overlap it in the back as it would appear to be tied.
- Roll out the white fondant to 1/8 inch thickness. Carve out the eyes and the mouth into a 4″x2″ piece with round edges.
- Then, place the white eyes in position on the front of the face and draw black eyes. You may need to wet the back of the fondant if it is not sticky enough.
- Next, place the white mouth in position.
- Finally, add your child’s name on the bottom and age on the head.
A Ninja Turtle Fondant Cake to Make a 5 year Old Happy!
This really cool Ninja Turtle Cake is will make your little birthday boy very happy! It is so fun to make this cake with your kids. Our boys were thrilled to help roll the fondant. Three dimensional cakes are so cool. Your guests may think you bought if from a bakery. You really can make a cake just like this in one morning and and have a very happy birthday boy!