Impress your guests this Thanksgiving with a homemade Green Bean Casserole! Trust me, they’ll notice the difference and love it. No more mushy green beans in a canned soup sauce. It’s from-scratch except for the onion topping. This recipe is fresh, VERY delicious and EASY! Video included.
I’ve always liked concept of Green Bean Casserole- green beans in mushroom sauce topped with fried onions is yummy after all…. well, except for the mushy green beans and canned soup. Did I lose you here? If you’re not offended and appalled by now, read on! Homemade Green Bean Casserole from Scratch tastes so much BETTER!
Green bean casserole is goes with Thanksgiving like peanut butter goes with jelly. It’s one of the most popular Thanksgiving side dishes and for good reason. Making a homemade version of it will elevate your Thanksgiving. Look no further for recipes for green bean casserole from french fried onions because this recipe is easy and very delicious!
Because this recipe doesn’t make the French fried onions from scratch, you’ll save time and effort and it’ll still taste great!
A homemade creamy mushroom sauce only takes minutes to make. Fresh green beans that are cooked perfectly mixed with a creamy homemade mushroom sauce topped with crispy fried onions makes for a tasty side dish! Trust me, you’re family will notice the difference.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I’ll receive a very small commission that’ll help with blog expenses so you can continue to receive FREE recipes but, the price you pay is the same.
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
Most green bean casseroles use canned cream of mushroom soup and canned green beans and then that becomes the family staple recipe. Once you see how easy this homemade green bean casserole is you’ll add it to your recipes for green bean casserole from french fried onions.
It’s not difficult to make a Green Bean Casserole from scratch. I’ll show you how to make the easy mushroom cream sauce below.
I won’t give you a “cream of canned soup” recipe ever! Plus, the green beans will be tender and not mushy from sitting in a can for months, or years.
I’ll win you over with this recipe as I did with my brother-in-law who happened to stop over one day when I made it. I couldn’t understand exactly what he was saying while he scarfed it down but, he smiled with mushroom sauce stuck to his upper-lip and didn’t seem to mind.
You’ll use fresh mushrooms to make the mushroom sauce and be licking the spoon for sure! So, pull out that apron and let’s get started!
How to Make Best Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
First, preheat oven to 350F or 176C.
Then, cook green beans for 10 min on high heat. Drain. Set aside.
Make the Mushroom Sauce:
Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium heat, add butter, onions, mushrooms and seasonings. See note below. Cook for 5 min. Sift in flour one tablespoon at at time while constantly stirring to avoid lumps, alternatively with with 1/4 cup of the half and half and milk until all of the milk and flour is well combined and has become a creamy sauce. i.e. add some flour, stir, add some milk, stir, repeat until well combined.
Note: Do not add all of the flour at one time without adding the milk and half and half or it will become pasty. Do not cook on high heat.
Next, remove sauce from heat and add drained green beans.
Then, add the green beans with sauce to a 7″x 3″x 11″ baking dish and bake for 30 min on 350F.
Last, add French fried onions to the top of the casserole and put back in the oven for 5 more min.
Need more? Make a double batch!
Here are some some short cuts that won’t sacrifice flavor.
If you’re in a rush:
- Use frozen green beans instead of fresh.
- If you don’t have fresh mushrooms, used canned.
- Use whole milk or heavy cream instead of half and half.
This Homemade Green Bean Casserole is a fresher, way to make Green Bean Casserole without all of the preservatives and sodium found in canned soup. You’ll love the fresh taste of this from scratch green bean casserole recipe. Maybe your kids will start eating green veggies now!
You may also like:
Check out more Thanksgiving recipes!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER and get recipes, free printables and useful tips delivered to your inbox weekly!
Best Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
- 1 lb fresh or frozen green beans
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 10 oz fresh sliced mushrooms cleaned
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup French's Crispy Fried Onions
- First, preheat oven to 350F or 176C.
- Then, cook green beans for 10 min on high heat. Drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium heat, add butter, onions, mushrooms and seasonings. Cook for 5 min. Then, sift in flour one tablespoon at a time while constantly stirring to avoid lumps, alternatively with 1/4 cup of the half and half and milk until all of the milk and flour is well combined and has become a creamy sauce. i.e. Add some flour, stir, add some milk, stir, repeat until ALL of the flour, milk and half and half is well combined. Note: Do not add all of the flour at one time without adding the milk and half and half or it will become pasty.
- Next, remove sauce from heat and add drained green beans. Add the green beans with sauce to a 7"x 3"x 11" baking dish and bake for 30 min on 350F.
- Last, add fried onions to the top of the casserole and put back in the oven for 5 more min.