Aren’t these Ferrero Rocher Red Velvet Spider Cupcakes adorable? These cupcakes are made with Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolates and toffee chocolate covered pretzels. Your kids will have fun decorating these upscale spider cupcakes! The red velvet cake recipe is moist and delicious or use any flavor boxed cake mix to save time.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission.
This is a fun way to get your kids interested in learning how to bake and spending quality time together. Our boys love helping me in the kitchen so, I created a Best Gift Ideas for Aspiring Little Boy Chefs which, can of course be used for girls too.
As a matter of fact, my sons took these pictures too…well, they just pressed the button on the camera. Nonetheless, they got to participate and they are learning how to take pictures as well as cook. It is a life skill after all.
How to Make Ferrero Rocher Red Velvet Spider Cupcakes
The full recipe for red velvet cake and butter cream frosting is at the bottom of this post.
48 or more in case of breakage toffee chocolate covered pretzels (as shown in pictures)
red velvet cupcakes (from scratch recipe is below or use a boxed mix of any flavor you prefer)
any white color icing (from scratch buttercream icing is below.) However, this from-scratch cream cheese icing is easy and yummy.
at least 48 candy eyes
cake and icing ingredients are listed below in the full recipe
I used red velvet cake batter for these cupcakes but, choose any flavor you like. I suggest using toffee chocolate covered pretzels because the plain chocolate covered flavors lack the texture which, matches the Ferrero Rocher spider body giving it a cohesive presentation. Using white icing such as, butter cream, cream cheese, white, etc. is best because of the stark contrast against the dark spider candy.
Cutting the Toffee Chocolate Covered Pretzels:
With a sharp knife, cut each side of the pretzel on an angle so that you will be left with a semi circle. Some may break in the wrong spots so, it is safe to have some extra pretzels.
First, make the red velvet cake batter which is a matter of mixing several ingredients and baking the cupcakes for 16-18 min. Next, make the buttercream icing with softened butter, half and half creamer, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla. Finally, you’ll decorate the cupcakes with Ferrero Rocher, toffee chocolate covered pretzel pieces and the candy eyes.
The problem I’ve found with making red colored icing and cake mix is not using enough red food coloring. This recipe calls for 1 oz of red food coloring. So, if you are like me and think the Easter Egg red food coloring would be enough, it won’t be! I tried that when making my son’s Elmo cake and my husband had to run out to get more red food coloring. Hence, you will need the right amount red food coloring or your cake will surely be pink and not red.
TIP: Don’t fill the cupcake liners more than 2/3 full or the Ferrero Rocher chocolate piece will not be stable on a mound. It’s better if the cupcake liners are not too full. However, you may have more than 24 cupcakes.
While the the cupcakes are baking, you can cut the toffee chocolate covered pretzels to make the spider legs. When the cupcakes are cool, spread a dollop of frosting on the cupcake. Put the Ferrero Rocher chocolate in the middle of the cupcake. Put two pretzel legs on each side as shown in the picture. Add the two candy eyes and you have Ferrero Rocher Red Velvet Spider Cupcakes!
These cute, easy-to-decorate Ferrero Rocher Red Velvet Spider Cupcakes are perfect for Halloween! Your kids will have fun decorating them. The red velvet cake recipe is moist and delicious. Make Halloween even more fun with these adorable, not too spooky, spider cupcakes.
More Decorative Cakes from No Plate Like Home:
This Ninja Turtle 3-D cake will excite your little birthday boy and is fun to make together!
This Easter Bunny Butt Carrot Cake is not only adorable, it tastes yummy and is also very fun to make with your kids.
What is funnier to a toddler than Bunny Poop Cupcakes? These cupcakes are so easy to make and use black jelly beans. Hilarious to take to work!
Ferrero Rocher Red Velvet Spider Cupcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of vegetable, corn, or canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (recipe below)
- 4 cups of sifted confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa. Add salt. In a separate bowl, add oil, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, food coloring and eggs. Mix well. Begin to add 1/2 cup of flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix until combined. Keeping adding about a 1/2 cup of flour mixture until well mixed.
- If you don't have buttermilk, substitute sour milk: 1 tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar to a measuring cup and fill the remainder up to 1 cup with whole milk. Let stand 5 min before using.
- Pour cake batter into 24 cupcake liners filling no more than 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 min in 350F or 180C oven. Let cool 30 min before applying icing and decorations.
- With an electric mixer, cream 1 1/2 sticks butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly beat in the confectioner's sugar until smooth and creamy and sweetened to your liking (about 2 minutes).
- Add a tablespoon of milk if icing is too thick to spread on cake.
The prep time includes making the cupcakes from scratch and decorating them.You can cut the pretzels and unwrap the Ferrero Rocher pieces while the cupcakes are baking.