This may sound like a strange combination but, the sweetness of the zucchini and grape tomatoes mixed with the greatness that is bacon, is really a great combination. The olive oil adds good flavor as well.
The first time I had this recipe (without the tomatoes) I was surprised at how good the zucchini tasted with the bacon. I used my last zucchini from our garden today to make this dish. Who doesn’t like bacon? If you are so inclined, you may make this dish with pancetta which is Italian style bacon. Well, I suppose there are some people. Even if you are skeptical on trying this but, you like both zucchini and bacon, try it! You have nothing to lose.
This recipe can be made in 30 minutes if you boil the water for the pasta at the same time you prep the vegetables and bacon. It is perfect for a week night meal although we had it as our first course on a Sunday dinner. It was followed by tender grilled filet and spring salad mix with garden tomatoes. Yes, I spoil my husband sometimes but, he works hard so he deserves it.
You can double or triple the vegetable and bacon mixture, store it in containers in smaller batches and freeze it be used later. Hope you’ll give this recipe a try.
Easy Zucchini and Bacon Pasta recipe with garlic and tomatoes
- 3 slices of raw bacon, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 small fresh zucchini, cut into 1” pieces
- 5 grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz of cooked Penne pasta, cooked “al dente”
- 1 tbl of extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tbs grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large sauce pan on medium heat, cook bacon, olive oil and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add zucchini to the pot. Stir and cover for 10 minutes.
- Add grape tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes or until the zucchini is translucent.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to the pot and stir together.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.