Looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal? A combination of ham, cheese and seasoned noodles nestled in a casserole sounds like comfort food to me! I pondered what to make for dinner last night knowing I had leftover ham in the fridge. I thought of making a variation of chicken noodle casserole with ham and started putting together some pantry ingredients that I thought may taste good together. I’m glad I did because this recipe turned out to be delicious and it was very easy to make! The sweetness of the corn coupled with the cheesy egg noodles topped with seasoned breadcrumbs is a simple yet, a delicious meal.
Casseroles are great for busy moms because there are leftovers for the next night’s dinner. I cringe when some other moms tell me their husbands won’t eat leftovers. Why? I don’t understand it. If it tasted great the first day, it in many times tastes better the second day. My husband will eat leftovers for three days straight! He is great that way. I rarely have to toss anything.
This casserole would be well served with Easy Apple Crisp with Craisins or BOURBON Chocolate Pecan Pie. Both of these yummy desserts are easy recipes. Your family will be asking “Is it ready yet mom?”
While I boiled the noodles and preheated the oven, I cubed the ham, diced the onion and celery then sautéed the onion and celery in butter with some thyme all within 2 minutes. When the noodles were done cooking, I combined all of the ingredients and put the mixture into an oil sprayed baking pan, sprinkled seasoned bread crumbs on top and placed it in the oven for 30 minutes on 375 F. This recipe can be made start to finish in only one hour and is a good weeknight meal.
Easy Ham Noodle Casserole
- 1 lb boneless ham cut in 1” cubes (ham leftovers are perfect)
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 oz shredded cheese (Swiss or Cheddar)
- 12 oz bag of egg noodles
- 14 oz can creamed corn
- 3 or 4 dashes of garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp of dried thyme or 1 tsp of fresh thyme
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbs butter
- Cook egg noodles for 8 minutes and drain.
- While noodles are cooking, sautee onion, celery and thyme in butter 5 min on medium heat or until celery and onion are soft.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients, except bread crumbs with noodles.
- Spray 13”x9”x3” pan with cooking spray and put noodle mixture in it.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly on top.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes, uncovered.