This adorable Easter Bunny Butt Carrot Cake is an eye-catching and sweet Easter centerpiece for your buffet table! Your guests will love a 3-dimensional, fuzzy coconut covered bunny cake that not only looks fantastic but, also tastes fresh and delectable. Plus, if you don’t have time to make a from-scratch cake recipe, use a boxed cake mix and any flavor you like!
This Easter Bunny Butt Cake is so cute, it was featured on Country Living- 10 Cute Easter Bunny Cakes That Will Steal the Show at Easter Brunch THREE YEARS in a row! The link is below for your reference!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a very small commission which helps with blog expenses so you can continue to receive FREE recipes but, the price you pay is the same.
By making a bunny butt cake yourself, you won’t have to stand in a long line at the busy bakery the day before Easter to pick it up when you have a million things to do at home that day. Add making this Easter Bunny Butt Cake to your Easter planner. Our Less Stress Easter Dinner Planner helps keep stress levels down when you have a large group to feed on a major holiday, such as Easter. Plus, it includes a free printable planner and menu suggestions. When you have more time available, you’ll have time to visit the Easter Bunny.
Our Embarrassing Visit with the Easter Bunny
We took our boys (ages 5 and 4) to get pictures with the Easter bunny. I wasn’t sure they’d sit next to the bunny let alone on his lap. Our four-year old, runs and jumps on his lap! I heard the Easter Bunny gasp as he landed on his lap! That was embarrassing! We apologized of course but, I suppose this is better than some of the Easter Bunny’s lap experiences!
You can use any cake recipe you like. Southern Hummingbird Cake flavor would also be delicious! It’s a dense, rich banana cake with crushed pineapple and toasted pecans with a buttery cream cheese frosting!
Carrot cake is so fitting for a bunny butt cake and this recipe is moist and delicious. Also, the carrot cake can be made and frozen a couple of weeks ahead of time and then decorated a day or two before Easter. Freezing the cake will not diminish the flavor as carrot cake freezes well, even with the icing on it.
You are probably thinking, “I don’t know if I have time to make and decorate a cake, much less from scratch!” If you make the cake from scratch and freeze it, which I highly recommend because it tastes so much better than a box mix, it won’t take that much more time to make icing and decorate the cake with the tutorial below. But, if you really don’t have time, just use a good boxed cake mix and icing. You can choose any flavor you like.
Cake Decorating Supplies:
Buy them on Amazon and you can use them in your daily cooking, not just for this cake!
- One 2 qt or 1.9 ml Pyrex round glass bowl for the body
- Two 10 oz or 296 ml small oval glass bowls for the bunny feet
- One 6 oz or 175 ml small round glass bowl for the tail
- 12 oz or 340 ml sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 watermelon-flavored Fruit Roll-Up
How to Make the Easter Bunny Butt Carrot Cake
*The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post.
Here is the summary. Steps with photos are below.
- First, make the carrot cake. You can use the from-scratch carrot cake printable recipe below in the recipe card or make a boxed cake of any flavor you like. The toasted pecans give it a great flavor. The recipe was adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction with several changes, one of which is adding crushed Mandarin oranges. Let the cake cool before decorating.
- Next, make the cream cheese icing for this cake with powdered sugar, cream cheese and half-and-half cream (recipe is below.) You can use a store-bought white colored vanilla or cream cheese icing.
- Next, spread the icing on the cake liberally.
- Then, drop coconut flakes onto the cake to completely cover it. Your kids will love to help with that part.
- Next, cut oval and round pieces for the feet from a watermelon-flavored Fruit Roll Up and placed it on the bunny feet. Press into the feet so it adheres to the icing.
- Then, I add the green grass and Easter eggs.
See the the tutorial below for more detailed steps and photos.
Easter Bunny Butt Cake Cake Assembly and Decoration
1. When the cake is done cooling, remove the cakes from their bowls and cut the tops so that the tops are flat. You will be flipping them over as seen below.
2. Next, arrange smaller cake pieces as displayed in the pictures below.
3. Then, spread cream cheese icing evenly and liberally onto cake covering all the crevices. Try to put enough icing on the cake so that the dark color does not show through the icing, if possible.
4. Next, drop the flaked coconut liberally onto the cake. Push the coconut onto the sides to adhere the coconut to the cake. Have your kids do this fun part! Also, You may mix a little food dye in the coconut if you want a colored bunny. A pink bunny would be cute.
5. Then, add grass and Easter plastic Easter eggs or Easter candy as shown below.
6. Finally, cut a watermelon-flavored Fruit Roll Up into two oval 1 1/2″x 1″ or so pieces and six 1/2″ or so round pieces and attach them to the feet as shown in picture below with chocolate eggs.
Your adorable Easter Bunny Butt Cake is finished!
In six easy steps, you can decorate your own Easter Bunny Butt Cake! You’ll be proud to display this cute centerpiece for your Easter table. Your guests will love to see and eat it!
Here’s the link to Country Living: Adorable Easter Bunny Cakes That Will Steal the Show at Brunch
More Fun Easter Recipes:
This cake would look great alongside these Bunny Poop Cupcakes which, my soon-to-be five year old requested I make.
Easter Bunny Oreo Cookies are another cute Easter treat that are fun to make with your kids.
Also, check out my Desserts board on Pinterest. You can access if from the right side bar of this post.
Rice Krispies Easter Eggs with Cadbury Egg Surprise are fun to make with kids and colorful to display in Easter baskets or on your Easter dessert table.
Easter Bunny Butt Carrot Cake
- 2 1/2 cups of flour 312 gr
- 1/2 cup of white sugar 100 gr
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar 300 gr
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of canola corn or vegetable oil (240 ml)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups of grated carrots use a food processor
- 3 oz of applesauce
- 8 oz of crushed mandarin oranges 14.5 oz can drained and crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 16 oz. of Philadelphia Cream Cheese softened
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tbs of half-n-half creamer
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz of sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 watermelon Fruit Rollup to make feet prints
- green Easter grass
- Easter candy or plastic Easter eggs
- First, preheat oven to 300
- Next, spread chopped pecans evenly on a baking sheet and put in 300F degree oven for 5 minutes to toast them.
- Then, after removal of pecans, put oven temperature up to 350F.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Then, in another mixing bowl, add white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, oil, mandarin oranges and apple sauce. Mix until the brown sugar lumps are gone. Begin to add flour mixture a little at a time until well combined.
- Stir in carrots and toasted pecans by hand.
- Next, spray insides of baking dishes with cooking spray and fill 2/3 full with carrot cake mixture. Bake small baking dishes for approximately 20-25 min on 350F and the larger round baking dish for about 45-50 minutes. Insert a toothpick or knife in the middle of the cakes to see if they come out clean. Let cool to the touch before applying icing.
- Mix the softened cream cheese, vanilla extract and half-n-half creamer together with powdered sugar, adding powdered sugar a little at time. Mix until smooth. Add a tiny bit more creamer if needed to get desired consistency.
Cake Assembly and Decoration:
- When the cake is done cooling, remove the cakes from their bowls and cut the tops so that the tops are flat. You will be flipping them over as seen below.
- Next, arrange smaller cake pieces as displayed in the pictures below.
- Then, spread cream cheese icing evenly and liberally onto cake covering all the crevices. Try to put enough icing on the cake so that the dark color does not show through the icing, if possible.
- Next, drop the flaked coconut liberally onto the cake. Push the coconut onto the sides to adhere the coconut to the cake. Have your kids do this fun part! You may also mix a little food dye in the coconut if you want a colored bunny. If you or your guests are not a fan of coconut, you can omit this step but, be sure to spread the icing in even strokes.
- Then, add green Easter grass to the sides along with eggs or add Easter candy onto grass.
- Next cut a watermelon-flavored Fruit Roll-Up into two oval 1 1/2"x 1" or so pieces and six 1/2 " or so round pieces and attach them to the feet as shown in picture below with chocolate eggs.
- Also, see freezing and thawing instructions in the Notes section.