This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe is EASY, MOIST and DELICIOUS! It tastes just like chocolate cake. What a yummy way to use up garden zucchini!
This chocolate zucchini bread recipe tastes just like a dark chocolate cake! You’d never even know zucchini is in it which, makes it almost healthy. Ok, let’s just say it’s a bit healthier than chocolate cake because it has zucchini in it. LOL It’s a green vegetable after all.
You can seriously pass this off as chocolate cake to your kids and they’d never know zucchini is in it. It’s so delicious! It’s one way to get them to eat green vegetables.
Plus, it’s one yummy way to use up garden zucchini in the summer. After I make my Tomato Zucchini Mozzarella Bake, the next thing I make is zucchini bread! I love it because I can make it and freeze it without losing any flavor.
This year, I modified my Orange Zucchini Bread recipe (which is equally as delicious) to come up with this chocolate zucchini bread. I’m amazed at how delicious and MOIST this recipe is! It’s gotten rave reviews from my friends who tried it.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
I’ve been making zucchini bread for years. It’s a summer tradition. I’ll use garden zucchini or purchase it at the Farmer’s market and then make a double batch. One gets eaten immediately and the other goes in the freezer to take on our summer vacation at the beach. It’s wonderful to eat with a cup of coffee.
Tips for making perfect zucchini bread
- When using a food processor, don’t let it spin too long or it’ll become puree. You want the consistency to be minced or grated. See the photo below.
- Let the minced or grated zucchini drain of its juices before putting it in the batter.
- Don’t cut the zucchini bread too soon after it comes out of the oven. It’ll fall apart. It needs to chill a bit but, you can still eat it warm.
Do you peel zucchini for bread?
No, you may keep the peel on but, removing it won’t hurt the recipe. Peeling the zucchini is an unnecessary step.
How do you grate zucchini for bread?
Use a cheese grater and slide the zucchini up and down against the sharp side of the grater. Be careful not to let your fingers rub against the sharp side of the grater.
How many zucchinis is 1 1/2 cups grated?
1-2 small zucchini is what you’ll need to make this recipe. You may have enough to make this recipe with just one zucchini depending on its size.
Get your zucchini and baking items ready so you can make this delicious Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe today! I have no doubt you and your family will love it while getting some more veggies in your diet too.
You may also like:
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz corn or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh zucchini 1-2 small zucchini, with skin on and drained of juice
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- First, cut zucchini into 2 inch pieces and place in a food processor. Zucchini should be minced but, not pureed. You may use a cheese grater to grate the zucchini.
- Then, in a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, add oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture until well combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Then, add the minced zucchini and mix until well combined.
- Next, oil spray an 8" x 4 " x 3" or similar sized loaf pan and fill with batter.
- Add semi sweet chocolate chips to the top in a single layer.
- Bake on 350F for about 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to ensure it's fully cooked. It should come out clean (without wetness.)