Chocolate Pizzelles with Cannoli Filling are delicious sandwich type cookies. They’re chocolate pizzelles filled with cream cheese chocolate chip cannoli filling. It’s a no-bake dessert, make-ahead and very easy-to-make. They’re perfect for a last minute Italian dessert to take to a potluck any time of year!
Chocolate lovers beware: You’re going to LOVE this Chocolate Pizzelles with Cannoli Filling recipe because it’s double chocolate! How good does that sound? Chocolate pizzelles with chocolate chip cannoli filling? Oh, yeah baby, I’m there!
Why is this Chocolate Pizzelles with Cannoli Filling recipe so great?
- It’s absolutely delicious!
- It takes only 20 min to make!
- You can make the cannoli filling ahead and fill the pizzelles before serving.
- It only has 7 ingredients and depending where you live, they’re easy to find ingredients.
- It’s a no-bake dessert so it’s great to bring along camping or on vacation.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means, if you make a purchase, I’ll receive a very small commission which helps with blog expenses so you can continue to receive FREE recipes but, the price you pay is the same.
Chocolate Pizzelles with Cannoli Filling
This cream cheese filling is the same one that I make for my White Chocolate Cranberry Cannolis except, instead of adding white chocolate chips, I add semi sweet chocolate chips and omit the dried cranberries.
First, you make the cream cheese filling with heavy cream, softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
Next, add the semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir.
Then, spoon the cannoli filling into a pastry bag (or a gallon plastic zipper bag, squeeze into one corner and cut off 1/2 inch of the tip) and you’re ready to assemble them which is easier than making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
Next, squeeze in a circular motion about an inch from the sides.
Then add another chocolate pizzelle on top like a sandwich.
Then sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
Easy peasy. There’s a recipe video too.
By the way, I’ve refrigerated them overnight and although the pizzelles are soft, they still tasted great to me! Hence, the longer the pizzelles are filled with cannoli filling, the longer they will get “soggy.” Therefore, I wouldn’t let them sit for days.
But, this is still a great make ahead no-bake dessert because you can make the filling a few days ahead of time and just fill them the day you’re serving them or right before depending how crunchy you want the pizzelles to be.
This recipe would be phenomenal with homemade chocolate pizzelles! Oh my! Click on the picture below to buy this pizzelle maker on Amazon (affiliate link.) It makes 4 pizzelles at a time!
Where do I buy Chocolate Pizzelles?
I bought mine at my local Italian bakery. I couldn’t find them on Amazon but, I imagine that most stores that sell Italian goods would have them especially in the areas of Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey where there is a large presence of Italian-Americans, like me!
What is Cannoli Filling Made Of?
Sicilian cannoli, which is where they originated, is made with candied fruit, ricotta cheese, sugar, cream, chocolate chips or shavings and I believe a little bit of cinnamon. I have not had cannoli in Sicily but, would love to hop on a plane to do that someday…seriously!
Being from Philadelphia and the popularity of cream cheese, it was only a matter of time before someone made cannoli with cream cheese. So, using a cream cheese cannoli filling is great for those who don’t like ricotta.
What Can I substitute for Cannoli Shells?
It’s so fun to get together with my friends and make some easy desserts. Print and keep this recipe handy when you want to make a quick, easy, make-ahead, no-bake dessert that everyone. Your Italian friends and family will love them!
Chocolate Pizzelles with Cannoli Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, mix heavy cream on high for one minute until fluffy.
- On medium speed, add powdered sugar and mix until blended.
- Add cream cheese, vanilla and cinnamon to whipped cream and mix. Continue to mix until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Add cream cheese mixture to a pastry bag or plastic zipper bag. Using your hands, pull down the cream cheese filling into one corner of the bag and cut the end to make a one inch hole.
- Use about 1/8 of the bag to make the first sandwich. Squeeze out enough to go in a circle on the pizzelle.
- Then top it with another pizzelle and press down. Repeat until you have 8 "filled sandwich cookies."
Make Ahead Directions:Make cannoli filling up to 5 days ahead and fill the pizzelles the day you're serving them or even just before serving, depending how crunchy you want the pizzelles to remain.
- Store the cream cheese mixture in the refrigerator when not in use.
- If the mixture gets too malleable, put it in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to harden a bit.
This post was updated on January 27, 2023.