Cheesy Ham Noodle Casserole is the ultimate comfort food. The egg noodles, ham and turkey are smothered with a yummy, creamy, cheesy sauce. This is the perfect recipe to use when you have leftover turkey or ham or both.
You can double the ham or turkey if you only have one of the meats. This filling dish is just what moms need to feed a hungry “I’m starving” family who hasn’t eaten in a whole hour. It will keep them feeling fuller longer with protein and complex carbohydrates. You may also like my Chicken Noodle Casserole.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means I will get a small commission if you make a purchase but, the price you pay is the same.
When I’m looking to use up leftover ham, I either make One Pot Ham, Potato and Corn Chowder, One Pot Ham, Potato and Bean Soup or this Cheesy Ham and Turkey Noodle Casserole. I always save the ham bone when I make a ham and freeze the bone (if it was a fresh ham) and save it to make a great broth for soups.
However, in this recipe, you can buy packaged diced ham if you don’t have leftover ham. You can substitute chicken for the turkey or you can boil turkey cutlets and cube them for the turkey. Also, you can use all ham or all turkey instead of half of each. This recipe is so versatile. It’s a great recipe to add to your meal plan after you make a whole ham or turkey.
How to Make Cheesy Ham Noodle Casserole
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post.
First, cook the egg noodles in salted water according to package directions minus one minute. They will continue to cook in the oven later. Drain the noodles and set aside.
How to Make the Easy Cheese Sauce
Meanwhile, make a roux- add butter and flour to a medium sauce pan on med/low heat and stir. As soon as the butter has melted and is mixed with flour, add half of the heavy cream until well mixed. Continue stirring. Add remaining cream and continue stirring until well incorporated.
Add the chicken continue stirring. (Don’t have leftover turkey? See instructions below on how to poach turkey cutlets and use the stock to make the cheese sauce.) Sauce will thicken in about 5 min or so. Always stir it to get it creamy. Then, add shredded Colby/Jack cheese to the sauce and stir until it melts. Take off heat until ready to mix with pasta and meat.
Note: You can use whole milk or half and half instead of heavy cream in order to lower the fat and calorie content but, it will not be as rich and savory.
Prep the Meat
Assemble the Casserole
Add the cooked and drained pasta back into the pot it was cooked along with the cheese sauce. Add the ham, turkey, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir together until well combined. Add salt if desired but, taste it first. Ham and cheese already contain salt.
Add the pasta mixture to a 11″x 7″ or 2 qt (2 ltr) oil sprayed Easy Ham Noodle Casserole
This is a recipe you may want to double. It has about 4 servings but, you may want to add some green veggies on the side or another yummy casserole: Tomato Zucchini Mozzarella Bake with Panko
Creamy, Cheesy Ham Casserole is the ultimate comfort food recipe. It is the perfect recipe for using up Thanksgiving and Easter leftover turkey and/or ham. When you need a filling, flavorful, recipe to feed your “starving” family, this recipe will leave their bellies full and a warm smile for mommy.
More Delicious Ham Recipes:
A tasty One Pot, Ham Potato and Bean Soup made with a ham bone. The broth in this soup takes it to a new level of flavor! You just can’t get this flavor in canned soup or even at a restaurant.
This One Pot Ham, Potato and Corn Chowder is yummy rainy day comfort food the whole family will devour!
An easy Easy Ham Noodle Casserole topped with bread crumbs is a great way to use up leftover ham.
I took this recipe to Weekend Potluck.
Cheesy Ham Noodle Casserole
- 12 oz bag of egg noodles
- 8 oz ham cubes one inch
- 8 oz cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (I suggest only a little salt because the ham and cheese already contains salt.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 8 oz of chicken or turkey stock
- 7 or 8 oz shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions (use salted water) minus one minute and drain.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by adding butter and flour to a medium sauce pan on med/low heat. Stir to make a roux. As soon as the butter has melted and is mixed with flour, add half of the heavy cream until well mixed. Continue stirring. Add remaining cream and continue stirring until well incorporated. Add the chicken stock and continue stirring. Sauce will thicken in about 5 min or so. Always stir it so it get creamy. Add the cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta back into the pot in which it was cooked along with the cheese sauce. Add the ham, turkey, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir together until well combined.
- Add the pasta mixture to a 11"x 7" or 2 qt (2 ltr) oil sprayed baking dish and bake in oven for 20 min uncovered in the middle position rack or cover with foil.